A map of 1718 (based on an earlier map of 1635) depicts a water mill at the confluence of Littlemore Brook and Lea Brook. The building is depicted with two storeys and a wheel. (1)
The mill as shown on the map of 1718 has an undershot wheel fed from the dam that can be seen on the opposite side of the road to the position of the mill. Its tailrace and the course of Littlemoor Brook are not clear, but the latter is less reliable than Lea Brook as a sustained source of power in times of little rain. Although a building is shown on the 1st edition of the 25" OS map, all that now remains is a point where the water supply ran through the wall. The mill cannot be identified, but it is perhaps the best location for "Lower Lea Milne", mentioned in the 14th century. (2)
Map: 1718. A True Plan of the Lordship of Dethick.. .. (as taken in the year 1635); DRO 1088 M/P1. 1.
Article in serial: Wigglesworth, G. 2006. 'The mills on Lea Brook, Derbyshire', Wind & Water Mills. Number 25, pp 2-26. p 7.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3221 5776 (89m by 58m) (Centre)
DETHICK, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 13 2015 12:08PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.