SK 3902 5909. Cross [G.T.] is included in a list of village or market crosses containing ancient work and described as having been moved to the side of the road and reconstructed with some new material, c. 1924, after a motor accident. (1, 2)
A market at Higham, granted in 1250, was discontinued in the 18th century and the 'old market cross' was restored in 1856. (3)
A village/market stone cross standing upon a plinth of six steps. From the condition of weathering it may be seen that the earliest remaining portion is the base measuring 0.75 m in plan and standing 0.3 inches high. G.P. AO/60/111/1. Cross from the south. (4)
Higham market cross - scheduled (Derbyshire 33). (5)
Report of 23/05/1960 correct. (6)
The market at Higham was granted in 1243 to John De Grey and held on Thursday. The market was discontinued in the 18th century and the "Old Market Cross" was restored in 1856. Market seized in 1330 for breach of assize, when Henry De Grey produced the charter. (1-8)
Descheduled, September 1994.
Bibliographic reference: MS PRO Placia De Quo Warranto 4 Edw III 133.
Article in serial: Tudor, T. 1934. 'Minor monuments and lesser antiquities of Derbyshire, 1934', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 55, pp 64-76. p. 65.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3902 5909 (10m by 10m) (Centre)
SHIRLAND AND HIGHAM, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 16 2017 3:59PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.