Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR4877 - Roadnook Farm, Brackenfield Lane, Wessington

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

SK 3708 5814. Roadnook Farm on the site of Wessington Manor House [G.T.] (1) was for long the home of the Stuart Spateman family. The house has been refaced, and is chiefly of 1840, (2) but contains the kitchen wing of the original house rebuilt in 1685. An out-building, used as a forge, appears to be of three different periods and is built of stone and brick with mullioned windows. The earliest work is Tudor: some is dated 1673 by a datestone; the upper storey is probably 1685. A large barn is dated 1683. A datestone on the lintel of a garden doorway is inscribed 'ISM 1655'. There is a gazebo in the garden and the bowling-green wall is built of small bricks (3). (1, 2, 3) Roadnook Farm is an 18/19th century stone-built farmhouse, at SK 3704 5814, probably incorporating a 17th century house. There is little external evidence of the earlier house. An 1840 datestone is placed in the southern front. Among the farm-buildings is a small structure, at SK 3706 5810, of unusual character in being partly built of early brick in a predominantly stone-using area. It is now in poor condition but comprises a stone lower storey with an upper storey built in thin 'Tudor' brick heightened at a later time with an 18/19th century thicker brick. Above the entrance is an ornate date-stone inscribed S.J.1673. A farm-building, at SK 3707 5812, has a northern wing of stone and a south-eastern wing of brick, the latter containing a revised datestone inscribed 1683. An entrance at SK 3704 5812, to the former bowling-green now a paddock/orchard, has a lintel inscribed 1655. The boundary-wall of the former bowling-green is built in a mixture of 18/19th century brick and stone. There is no evidence of a former gazebo. See G.P.s : AO/60/111/2 - Farmhouse from the south; AO/60/111/3 - Small farm building from the north; AO/60/111/4 - Farm-building from the west. (4) No change [1966]. (5) See also SK 35 NE 22, 23, 24. (6)

Sources/Archives (7)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1921. 6" map.
  • <2> Personal Observation: F1 WCW 05-MAY-60.
  • <3> Article in serial: Prior, C. 1915. 'The Spatemans of Roadnook', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 37. p43ff.
  • <4> Personal Observation: F2 WCW 24-MAY-60.
  • <5> Personal Observation: F3 JB 02-JUN-66.
  • <6> Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 0360. 0360.
  • <7> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p. 66.



Grid reference Centred SK 3703 5814 (14m by 9m) Centre

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (3)

  • EDR747
  • EDR823
  • EDR1358

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 18 2024 12:17PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.