Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR4878 - Ogston Hall, Ogston Lane, Brackenfield

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

At first glance the building is apparently Victorian but has a west range, of probably c. 1500, the south end of which was the Hall. The north end of the range has 16th century mullioned windows. The north range contains early masonry and a gateway, not in situ. On the south side is a 17th century building possibly dated by a stone inscribed 1659 in the garden but not now in situ. On the north of this last building is late 17th century detail. At the east end of the north wing is a coach house dated 1694. A house in the south-east corner was built in 1768 but is concealed by a Victorian veneer of 1864. Ogston Hall has been the subject of considerable architectural research by N. Pevsner and members of the Turbutt family in recent years. The research shows that the house comprises a medieval courtyard house, with 15/16th century work visible in the present west and north wings, at SK 3779 5973 and SK 378174 respectively, though both wings were largely refaced in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. Coins of Edward I have been found beneath the floors of these wings. A Jacobean house was built in the former courtyard, c.1659 at SK 3780 5973, and extended to the east and south in the 18th and 19th centuries, when a 1659 dated entrance was removed and built into a garden-house, at SK 3777 5970. See G.P.s : AO/60/112/4 - Removed 15/16th c. gateway from the north; AO/60/112/5 - 17th c. north end of west wing from the north. (1-3) A grade II* country house and attached stable block, c.1500, 1659, 1694, 1768 house by Joseph Pickford, refashioning of 1851 to 1864 by T C Hine and addition of 1910. Ashlar gritstone to 18th and 19th century parts. Coursed sandstone rubble to earlier parts. Sandstone dressings and quoins, 18th and 19th century ones rusticated. Slate roofs with leaded or stone ridges. Numerous stone and brick side wall and ridge stacks, including range of five octagonal 19th century pots to south-west range. Two storeys plus attics and basements. Roughly quadrangular plan with projecting stable block to east. North and west range, originally 17th century and earlier. South-east corner 1768, refashioned 1851 onwards. 1910 infill between this and north range. East facade - to south, five bay 18th century house masked by two storey Victorian additions. Central three bay semi-circular headed arcade with pilasters on piers. Behind 1768 doorcase survives with Tuscan columns, metope frieze and semi-circular headed moulded door. To either side 1851 canted mullion and transomed bay windows. Above, two similar bay windows. Between them, three mullion and transom windows with rounded top corners. Pilasters between windows. Over, balustraded parapet with central coat of arms. Behind, four 1768 glazing bar sashes in moulded sedicules and central diocletian window. Original glazing bars intact. Above, dentilled cornice and plain parapet with central balustraded section. To north 1910 addition in style similar to 1851 work. South facade - to east 1768 house with two 19th century bay windows; that to the east, two storeys and balustraded with window of three semi-circular headed, full height, lights below and three-light mullion window above. Western bay, canted with huge double transomed four-light mullioned window to front. All lights with semi-circular heads. Above, 19th century four-light recessed and chamfered mullioned and transomed window with hood. Two single light 19th century windows to east. 1768 parapets with two sections of balustrading over. Beyond, to west, double gabled, Victorianised 17th century section. Three 19th century two-light mullion windows with pointed lights. Between western two, buttress supporting 19th century oriel over with mullion and transomed windows. To east, recessed and chamfered mullion and transom window with hood. Above, one two-light and one three-light 19th century window with pointed lights and Tudor hoods. East gable, 19th century Flemish gable, that to west plain. Recessed to west, Victorianised 16th century gabled section. Large recessed and chamfered mullion and transom window below smaller similar four-light window over. Behind five storey, 19th century, Gothic tower with castellated parapets and domed stair turret. Northern stable block of seven bays with recessed and chamfered mullion windows. Large double chamfered 19th century depressed arch, through to east facade at east end. To west, re-used late medieval gatehouse with four centred archway and small pointed pedestrian door. 19th century castellated parapets. To eastern gable, date stone inscribed 'RE 1694'. Inner courtyard has 1768 windows with moulded aedicules to south-east. Also re-set date stone inscribed 'WET 1768'. Evidence of early 17th century building to west. Raised walk with two sets of twin dog kennels below. Above, two four-centred arched door cases and recessed and chamfered mullion windows. Two similar windows above in dormers. To north, 1810 stone sundial set obliquely into wall over semi- circular arch. Interior - mostly 19th century. Various pieces of re-used 17th century panelling and fireplaces. Moulded 17th century crossed beams with plasterwork central boss to dining room, originally the first floor ceiling. In kitchen, early 16th century heavily moulded crossed beams with carved central boss of hand clasping dagger. 18th century fireplace and built-in corner cupboard to room off hall. 19th century service staircase with re-used Elizabethan turned balusters. Elaborate 19th century stone staircase with wooden gallery over. Behind this, two original 1768 doors survive. (5)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Personal Observation: F2 WCW 24-MAY-60.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. pp 197-8.
  • <3> Personal Observation: F1 WCW 05-MAY-60.
  • <4> Personal Observation: F3 JB 02-JUN-66.
  • <5> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1087805, UID Ref: 79400.
  • <6> Index: NDAT. 0361. 0361.



Grid reference Centred SK 37801 59738 (45m by 42m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (3)

  • EDR747
  • EDR823
  • EDR1358

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 17 2024 12:28AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.