Building record MDR4882 - All Saint's Church, Holm Lane, South Wingfield
Type and Period (2)
- CHURCH (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- ANGLICAN CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
The Church at South Winfield, dedicated to All Saints, consists of a nave, side aisles, chancel, south porch, and tower. The chancel is dated to c.1360. A century later, the rest of the church was built in the Perpendicular style. Of this only the tower and traces at the west end of each side aisle remain. The church was rebuilt in 1803. The first mention of the church is in the reign of Henry II (1154-1189) when it was given to the Abbey of Darley. Domesday mentions a priest at South Winfield. It is probable, therefore, that there was a Saxon wooden church. (1) South Winfield [sic] had a priest at the time of the Domesday Survey, but no mention is made of a church. It cannot be concluded that a church therefore existed at this time, as has been generally understood. Rather, it is more preferable to imagine that the original Saxon church, constructed in all probability merely of wood, had been destroyed in the troubled times immediately preceding the taking of the Domesday Survey, and that only the priest was left. The main body of the church was re-built in the Georgian period, in 1803. The chancel, however, is worthy of attention, although it has undergone alterations. It dates to circa 1360. At this time, the rest of the church was probably of Norman construction; but in the next century, everything except the chancel was cleared away, to admit a structure of the Perpendicular period. Of this structure, only the tower remains; but there are traces at the west end, of each side aisle. (2) There can be little or no doubt that Ralph, Lord Cromwell, was the rebuilder of the tower and body of the church of South Winfield. The lower exactly corresponds in style to the time when he was lord of the manor [Authority states elsewhere that he was lord from 1440-1455]. The body of the church was demolished in 1803, the Cromwell's arms were in the east windows of the aisles in 1770. (3) All Saints Church is probably on the site of a Saxon Church. Practically the whole building was re-erected in 1803. The chancel shows traces of a 1365 building and the tower was rebuilt circa 1441. There were other restorations in 1877, 1885, 1898 and 1922. (4) The church is in use for public worship . (5) A grade II* listed Anglican church. It dates to the 12th century, with a Perpendicular tower, remodelling of aisle and nave windows in 1803, and the chancel being refashioned in 1877. It is built of ashlar gritstone with coped gables, and has leaded, tiled and slated roofs. It comprises west tower, north and south aisles, south aisle porch, clerestory, chancel and vestry. The three-stage Perpendicular tower has stepped diagonal buttresses terminating at the bell stage, the tower stages being delineated by moulded strings. Inside the church is a wall monument, to Immanuel Halton, d. 1699, with broken pediment, and William Harris, d. 1631. There are further wall monuments to the chancel east wall: to the south side, to the Revd Miles Halton, d. 1792; and to the north side, to Immanuel Halton, d. 1784. See list description for further details. (7) The Church of All Saints stands half a mile from South Wingfield. It has 13th century origins, though much of what is seen now is of the 19th century. (9)
- <1> SDR401 Article in serial: Dugdale. Monasticon, Vol. 3. p 58.
- <2> SDR11673 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1875. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. I. pp 437-46.
- <3> SDR7809 Article in serial: Cox, J. 1886. 'On the manor house of South Winfield', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 8, pp 65-78. pp 65-78.
- <4> SDR15880 Unpublished document: Boston, F J. Typescript Guides to Church and Parish in Church.
- <5> SDR6464 Bibliographic reference: F1 WCW 16-JUL-59.
- <6> SDR6610 Personal Observation: F2 JB 02-JUN-66.
- <7> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1040011, UID Ref: 78746.
- <8> SDR15675 Index: Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust (TPAT). Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust Index: 2556. 2556.
- <9> SDR23483 Article in serial: Derbyshire Life and Countryside. 1962. 'Country Churches, a Derbyshire symposium', Derbyshire Life and Countryside. June/July.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3832 5577 (29m by 24m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SOUTH WINGFIELD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2017 3:49PM