Monument record MDR4886 - Probable Roman building (site of), South Wingfield
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
A little more than 1/2 mile N.W. of Alfreton, in Hufton (Ufton) Hall Field, many foundations of buildings, supposed to be Roman, but not certain, have been found. (1) Foundations have been noticed (at Ufton) and called Roman, but nothing has actually been discovered. (2) Mr. Jonathan Kendal informed the author that many foundations of walls were found in Hufton Hall Field. (Account infers field to be near the 14th milestone and the walls to be Roman as they were "but just cross the (Roman) road".) (3) Add ref. (4) [Area centred SK 3910 5630] Hufton Hall Field was the name of a large area to be west of Ryknild Street and extending from the Street almost to Alfreton. The foundations, however, were probably found in the fields immediately opposite the 14th milepost. [Indicated by auth. on O.S. 6"] Intensive perambulation of the area has failed to find any trace of Ro. building debris. No trace of a Ro. building-site was seen in these arable and pasture fields. The area occupies high ground overlooking the Ro. road crossing of the River Amber. (5) [Area SK 39025628] Light soil marks indicate possible buildings. (6) Report of 28.7.56 correct. The area is under high crop, the AP marks were not identified. (7)
- <1> SDR16229 Article in serial: Watkin, W. 1886. 'The Roman minor settlements, camps, discoveries of coins etc, and roads in Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeology Journal. Volume 8, pp 190-215. p192.
- <2> SDR15922 Bibliographic reference:
- <3> SDR212 Article in serial: Pegge, S. 1784. Bibliography of the Topography of Britain. Volume 4. p28-9.
- <4> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p 137.
- <5> SDR6470 Personal Observation: F1 WCW 28-JUL-59.
- <6> SDR792 Aerial Photograph: 1953.
- <7> SDR6610 Personal Observation: F2 JB 02-JUN-66.
- <8> SDR11838 Verbal communication: Johnson, R. Oral: Mr R Johnson, local historian, Somercotes, Derby.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 391 563 (100m by 100m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SOUTH WINGFIELD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 19 2015 9:56AM