The Manor House of South Winfield, before the one erected by Lord Cromwell [c.1440, see SMR 26201], was situated on the other side of the valley near the Peacock Inn. [SK 38915590.] Near the manor house was the Chapel of Linbery, in which John De Heriz, who held the manor and who died before 1245, was granted permission to have divine service performed by a chaplain. The chapel was probably allowed to fall into decay after the erection of the new manor house. There were some slight remains in 1761. (1)
"The manor of Ufton belonged to the Heriz family ... The site of the manor of Ufton was near the Peacock Inn... adjoining to which stood the chapel of Limbury". (2)
"...the scite of the chapel of Linbury is said to adjoin to the Peacock Inn, and the scite of Ufton Hall, which was unquestionably one of the manor houses of the Lords of Winfield, is within an hundred paces of the Inn." (3)
"...A cottage now occupies the site [of Linbury Chapel] and under the stables [of the Peacock Inn?] is a vaulted apartment supposed to have been the crypt"... (4)
Refers to 'the ground on which...the Peacock Inn stands and Limbury Chapel formerly stood'. (5)
Writing of the Roman road - 'Both Jonathan Kendal's house [the Peacock Inn] and Limbury Chapel if they stand not upon it must be very near it'. (6)
Linbery Chapel included in list of Md churches and chapels now destroyed or disused. (7)
[Area centred SK 38805593] Ufton Hall probably stood in the field immediately west of the Peacock Hotel. The field occupies the summit of a prominent hill and traces of terracing and other indications of a building-site could be seen in it. The Hotel was probably a 17thc. coaching inn built from the ancient farm- buildings of the Hall. The site of the chapel is unknown and the 'crypt' beneath the stabling was an ordinary cellar. (8) The name Peacock Hotel is retained. The buildings are supposed to incorporate part of Ufton Hall and the present bottle-store is believed to have been the chapel. The oldest dated part of the Hotel is the twin-gabled east wing which is associated with a 1613 date over the stableyard entrance...(8c)
The field west of the Peacock Hotel is being open-cast mined for coal and no trace of a building-site was seen. The Peacock Hotel includes an eastern wing with twin gables, built of irregularly coursed stone with stone quoins, and comprises two stories and an attic. The south wall has been refaced with brick; in the north wall are mullioned windows. The main block of the Hotel includes apparently older stone walling, particularly on the west but without dateable detail. The south wing is an 18/19th c. stable-courtyard entrance with a painted clock-face dated 1613 over the main entrance. The stables have been demolished. No part of the Hotel can be certainly identified as incorporating the remains of the Chapel or any other Md. building. (9)
No change. (10)
Verbal communication: Johnson, R. Oral: Mr R Johnson, local historian, Somercotes, Derby.
Bibliographic reference: Lysons, D & Lysons, S. 1817. Magna Britannia, Volume 5: Derbyshire. p 293.
Bibliographic reference: 'Hist. of South Winfield' 1793 p.85 (T. Blore).
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p689.
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p137ff.
Article in serial: Pegge, S. 1784. Bibliography of the Topography of Britain. Volume 4. p25.
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. p536.
Personal Observation: F1 WCW 27-JUL-59.
Personal Observation: F2 WCW 28-JUL-59.
Personal Observation: F3 JB 02-JUN-66.
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1875. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. I. p445-6.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3880 5593 (10m by 10m) (Centre)
SOUTH WINGFIELD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 12 2016 3:38PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.