[SK 34805466] St. Michael's Church [T.U.] (1) The Church of Crich was dedicated to St. Mary, this name being repeatedly mentioned in the Crich Chartulary and the chartularies of Darley Abbey [SK 33 NE 1.] The alleged dedication to St. Michael is due to an error in Kelly's "Post Office Directory" of 1855 being persisted in by other publications. The church consists of nave, side aisles and south porch, chancel with north vestry and tower and spire at the west end. Of the church that seems to have been erected by Ralph Fitzralp temp. Stephen (1135-54), there are considerable remains. The church was renovated and rebuilt in the 14th c in the Decorated style. The Perpendicular period is seen in the clerestory and the porch. The church had two chantries founded in 1350 and 1368 by Sir William De Wakebridge. [Cox gives a detailed history and description of the church.] (2)
"The original dedication of Crich Church was to St. Mary… but in modern directories & also in the Diocesan Calendar it is styled St. Michael's. The change is supposed to have taken place about the time of the Reformation but there is no clear record." There was formerly a chapel at the east end of the south aisle the piscina of which remains and there are indications of another chapel against the north aisle. (3)
St. Mary's Church [T.U.] (4) A copy of a letter (a) in the O.N.B. states, "The village cross [SK 35 SE 16] has on it an effigy of St. Michael, but the church is dedicated to St. Mary". The O.N.B. gives no reason for changing the name on later editions (5)
The church is definitely dedicated to St. Mary. The supposed dedication to St. Michael presumably arose from the local market and fair being held at Michaelmass. The church is in use for public worship. (6) No change. (7)
The church is a Grade I listed building, medieval, with a 12th century core, additions and alterations in the late 13th, 14th and early 15th centuries, and a recent 20th century vestry extension. It is constructed of ashlar and coursed rubble gritstone, with quoins, coped gables to the nave and chancel, a low pitched leaded roof to the nave and aisles and concrete tiles to the chancel and south porch. It comprises a square west tower with a recessed octagonal spire of mid to late 14th century date, a nave with clerestory, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel, and a vestry to the north wall. Internal features include a rare stone bible rest above a squint and a Romanesque drum font with cable moulding. (8)
Verbal communication: Brown, Rev. J. W. E.
Personal Observation: F1 WCW 28-JUL-59.
Personal Observation: F2 BHS 07-JUN-66.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1068597.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3480 5465 (34m by 23m) (Centre)
CRICH, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 1 2015 2:34PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.