In 1280 there was a dispute between the parishioners of Crich and the abbot of Darley, part of which related to the serving of the chantry within the Chapel of St. Thomas the Martyr, situated in the churchyard at Crich. (1)
The 1280 dispute is recorded in the cartulary of Darley Abbey and the phrasing suggests a chapel separate from the church. The hill on which the church stands is believed to have been known as St. Thomas's Hill many years ago. The origin and function of the chapel is unknown; it may have been the predecessor of the 12th century church or, more probably, a chantry chapel. It has been suggested that the present coke-stove in the churchyard was the chapel [at SK 34835463] but there is no supporting evidence. (2)
No trace of a chapel was seen in the churchyard. The coke-stove is a small stone building, with modern roof, the east wall following the line of the churchyard wall - suggesting it to be of comparatively recent date. (3)
No change. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. p47.
Personal Observation: F1 WCW 27-JUL-59.
Personal Observation: F2 WCW 28-JUL-59.
Personal Observation: F3 BHS 07-JUN-66.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 348 546 (point) (Centre)
CRICH, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 1 2015 2:34PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.