Building record MDR4921 - Wigwell Grange, Wirksworth
Type and Period (2)
'Wigwell Grange, as it now stands, is one of the most delightfully situated of country residences'. The present mansion stands on the site of previous buildings, 'long since passed away'. A whole series of deeds survive relating to Wigwell Grange, commencing in c. 1200 and running in almost unbroken succession, until at least the 18th century. The earliest deed relates to the giving of certain lands in Wigwell to the Prior and Canons of the Abbey of St Mary at Darley juxta Derby. The land thus granted was formed into a grange for the Priory and so continued until the dissolution. (1) There are probable traces of a moat round Wigwell Grange, Wirksworth, which belonged to Darley Abbey. (2) A water-filled feature at SK 30655445 may be the traces referred to above. (3) There is no vestige of a moat to be seen at Wigwell Grange. The water filled feature referred to above is a stone lined pond of ornamental character only. (4) No change. (5) Wigwell Grange is a grade II* Regency house of two storeys, constructed of ashlar. It is on the site of an earlier house and a monastic grange of the convent at Derby. (6) Wigwell Grange, as lands in Wigwell were given to the Abbey of St. Mary, Darley Juxta Derby, c.1200 by Vincent, Chaplain of Wirksworth. The buildings have long been cleared and a modern house built there. Fishpond remains that were noted in the 18th century have been completely landscaped out in the 18th century and 19th century. (7)
- <1> SDR8067 Article in serial: Jewitt, L. 1876-1877. 'Wigwell Grange, in the county of Derby, and its connection with Darley Abbey', The Reliquary. Volume 17, pp 65-74, 161-168, 225-234 and Volume 18, pp 83-87, 129-135.
- <2> SDR19691 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1905. 'Ancient Earthworks', in The Victoria County History of Derbyshire, Volume 1. pp 357-396. p 392.
- <3> SDR13313 Personal Observation: R2 DJC 27-FEB-62.
- <4> SDR6154 Personal Observation: F1 ECW 12-NOV-62.
- <5> SDR6528 Personal Observation: F2 BHS 07-JUN-66.
- <6> SDR5526 Bibliographic reference: DOE(HHR) UD OF Wirksworth, Derbyshire, Jan 1983, 30.
- <7> SDR11194 Index: NDAT. 2095. 2095.
- <8> SDR19199 Article in serial: Wigley, D A. 1966. 'Wigwell Grange', Derbyshire Miscellany. Vol III, no. 8, pp 637-649.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3065 5445 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WIRKSWORTH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 14 2017 4:42PM