Monument record MDR4922 - 3rd century Romano-British site with possible kiln, Alport Hill, Ashleyhay
Type and Period (3)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- CREMATION (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- KILN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
A Romano-British site in the area immediately around the Trig. On Alport Hill (SK 306516) was excavated by J Lomas. A small narrow mound or bank about 2ft high, 30ft long and 8ft wide, the major portion of which appeared to have been ploughed away, was removed down to the undisturbed subsoil. It consisted of stones mixed with black sandy soil containing much charcoal and with pottery scattered indiscriminately. A small deposit of burnt bones and charcoal, possibly the remains of a cremation burial, was found. A pit to the west contained similar material to the mound together with burnt sandstone. The presence of wasters and of used sandstone indicates that a pottery kiln or smelting furnace or both may have existed nearby. About 1 cwt. Of sherds were found, over 95% being 3rd century Derbyshire ware. (1-2) The remains of a crescentic bank exist at SK 3058 5157, the sharpness of profile and heavy loose, stone content suggest it to be modern. No surface indication of the excavation exists and any relationship between the removed work and the remaining feature could not be established. There is no surface evidence of occupation and the top of Alport Hill is now a restricted area. (3)
- <1> SDR7943 Article in serial: Lomas, J. 1961. 'A Romano-British site at Alport Hill, Ashleyhay', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 81p Vol 81, pp 141-146, illus..
- <2> SDR7638 Article in serial: Kay, S. 1962. 'The Romano-British pottery kilns at Hazelwood and Holbrook, Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 82, pp 21-42. p39.
- <3> SDR6063 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 07-JUN-66.
- <4> SDR13445 Bibliographic reference: Swan, V. 1984. The Pottery Kilns of Roman Britain. Gazeteer 252. p246.
- <5> SDR15563 Index: Trent and Peak Archaeol Trust 2280.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 306 516 (100m by 100m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||ASHLEYHAY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2015 11:10AM