SK 33305412. Whatstandwell Station. (1)
This railway station replaced an earlier station in 1892, and the overbridge is dated 1894. The station is now unmanned. (2)
This is the second station at Whatstandwell, to the south of the tunnel under Hurt's Wharf. In 1872 the Traffic Committee of the Midland Railway stated that the first station of 1852 was inadequate for the traffic of the area. A new station was built in 1892 with the station-master's house being added in 1926. The original pavilion station buildings were removed in 1965. There are two platforms at either side of the two track railway. Access to the only platform now in use is part of the original curved drive off the main A6 road. There is an original Handyside & Co., Derby, wrought iron footbridge to the now disused platform. (3)
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3331 5413 (109m by 134m) (Approximate)
CRICH, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.