Monument record MDR4941 - Crich Cross, Cromford Road, Crich

Type and Period (1)

  • (Medieval to Victorian - 1300 AD? to 1871 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

At the junction of the Cromford, Alfreton and Derby Roads an imposing wayside cross was erected by public subscription in 1871, on the site, and as far as possible, with the materials of an old cross of unknown date, but supposed to have been Saxon. On one side of the circular head is a pretty floral design in high relief, and on the other is a representation of St Michael vanquishing the serpent. The cross was designed by Mr Thomas Harris, architect, London, and the work was executed by Mr Isaac Petts of Crich. (1) " … an elegant cross of free stone, with a figure of St. Michael in relief on it. An old cross is said to have stood here. The present cross was erected AD 1871". (2) Crich market cross was reconstructed from old materials in 1871 and finished with a figure of St. Michael under the impression that he was the parish patron saint but the church is dedicated to St. Mary. (3) The cross comprises a base of three steps, socket stone and shaft with cross-head. The steps are 2.6m square, at their base, and are formed from rectangular worked stones. They are worn and probably represent the original medieval base. They are surmounted by a plain socket stone, 0.8m square and 0.5m high. This may be an exceptionally well preserved original, but is more probably a replacement. The shaft, 0.5m square, is modern, with an ornate wheel-cross head and carved figure. On its north-western face is a shield inscribed 'Restored 1871'. See G.P. AO/59/171/2 S.E. aspect of cross. The position of the cross, at the centre of a village cross-roads, makes it uncertain whether it is a market, wayside or village cross. A 25" AM Survey has been made. (4) Published survey (25" N.S.L.) & Authy. 4 correct. (5) The cross is Grade II listed. It is dated 1871 but is apparently the site of the earlier market cross, the steps of which survive. It has a tapering stone shaft set on a massive square base, itself placed upon a plinth of three earlier steps set in sloping ground. It has a wheel cross head with foliage decoration to west face and carved figure to east face. The carving is thought to show Pre-Raphaelite influence. (6)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p643.
  • <2> Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1913. Object Name Book (revised). p 20. p 20.
  • <3> Article in serial: Tudor, T. 1934. 'Minor monuments and lesser antiquities of Derbyshire, 1934', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 55, pp 64-76. p 66.
  • <4> Personal Observation: F1 WCW 17-JUL-59.
  • <5> Personal Observation: F2 BHS 09-JUN-66.
  • <6> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1335289.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3500 5447 (3m by 4m) (Centre)
Civil Parish CRICH, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

  • EDR923
  • EDR1170

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 29 2018 12:32PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.