The Independents have a small chapel at Pentrich. It is a plain stone building with a thatched roof . (1)
The oldest Nonconformist chapel at Pentrich was built about 1662. It retains some of its old stone mullioned windows, and two lancet ones of modern insertion. About twenty years ago [circa 1875] a porch was added, and the old roof of thatch was replaced by one of tiles. The chapel is now  used by the United Free Church Methodists. (2)
The chapel ceased to be used for religious purposes shortly after the 1939-45 war and was bought by the previous owner of the farm. It is now a farm building and has no distinctive name. The former chapel is a rectangular, single-storey building of irregularly coursed stone with simple end gables and a tiled roof. In the east and west walls are pairs of original three light stone mullioned windows formed of stone slabs with no ornament or mouldings. In the centre of the west side is a small blocked doorway with a modern inserted window. Two modern lancets are in the south end which is now braced by exterior timber struts. A modern brick porch added to the north end has the date 1662 faintly painted on the door lintel. A door and window have been inserted into the middle of the east wall, the interior gutted and a concrete floor laid; the building is now used to house chickens. It seems unlikely that the building was erected as early as 1662 as a Nonconformist chapel but no information on its earlier history was gained. See GP: AO/59/171/5 - Disused chapel from the NW. (3-4)
Although the vicar, Robert Porter, was ejected in 1662, there is no evidence to suggest that he was concerned in the establishment of the Presbyterian meeting here at Pentrich, which in the early 18th century shared a minister with the congregation in Belper. The meeting-house of circa 1700 altered in the mid 19th century, probably for another denomination, and was derelict in 1970. The building has walls of course rubble, and the roof, gabled to the north and south, has been re-covered in tiles. The west wall originally had a central entrance with chamfered jambs, but this is now  partly blocked and a wooden frame inserted. To each side is a window of three lights with square stone mullions. The east wall had three similar windows, but that in the centre has been altered to a doorway. There are two single-light windows in the south wall with pointed-arched heads, probably altered, and at the north end is a later vestry and entrance. The interior (42 1/4 ft by 19 ft) has no fittings, but a fireplace in the north wall with chamfered jambs and lintel may be original. The building was demolished circa 1971. (6)
Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 305.
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 575.
Personal Observation: F1 WCW 17-JUL-59.
Verbal communication: Bryan, J J. Oral evidence from J J Bryan of Chapel Farm.
Personal Observation: F2 BHS 09-JUN-66.
Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 55.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3888 5223 (16m by 20m) (Centre)
PENTRICH, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 1 2011 5:22PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.