Monument record MDR4963 - Midland Railway, Ripley & Heanor Branch (disused)

Type and Period (1)

  • (Victorian to 21st Century - 1890 AD to 2050 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The twin mining towns of Heanor and Ripley attracted the attention of the railway companies in the later 19th century. The Midland Railway was the first, with the Ripley-Heanor line being opened on June 2 1890. The section on to the main Erewash Valley line and spur into a platform at Langley Mill were opened on October 1 1895. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Leleux, R. 1976. Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain. Vol 9: The East Midlands. p 147.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 393 514 (5726m by 5449m) (Approximate)
Civil Parish RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 16 2017 10:40AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.