Monument record MDR4979 - Harewood Cupola (site of), Beeley Moor, Holymoorside and Walton
Type and Period (2)
- LEAD SMELTER (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1840 AD)
- CUPOLA FURNACE (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1840 AD)
- None recorded
"Holy-moor Top, N.E. of Harwood Cupola" [SK 306684] is included in a "list of ancient boles or lead hearths". (1) No further information. The area is open moorland. (2) Harewood Cupola, Slagmill Plantation. (3) Harewood Cupola was built by Barkers in 1752, coming into operation at the end of the year. It continued in their occupation until October 1814. The cupola and slag mill buildings [HER 14633] are shown on the Barlow Enclosure Map of 1820. A number of accounts for this cupola survive in the Bagshawe Collection at Sheffield Archives. The site today is defined by large areas of bare ground, presumably poisoned by lead fumes. There are many pieces of slag and firebrick. The slag mill foundations remain [HER 14633] and slag is found on the opposite bank of the stream. The wooded area is known as Slag Mill Plantation. (4) SK 307684, Harewood Cupola. Although most of the known cupola sites in Derbyshire kept to the old valley sites, Harewood Cupola is one of three notable examples of hilltop sites. (5) Documentary research indicates that Harewood Cupola and an associated slag mill were built in 1752 and remained in use until at least 1814. However they continue to be shown on maps (for example the Barlow Enclosure Award plan of 1820) until the end of the 1830s, which suggests they may have continued in operation until around this date. Surviving remains include the low footings/wall bases of a rectangular building adjacent and parallel to the road. This presumably housed the cupola itself. It had three or four similar-sized rooms, with indications of internal pits. The central two of these have a narrow channel outside against the north-east wall which was presumably a flue. Beyond the building and flue, to the north-east, is a long and narrow sunken yard. At the north-eastern end of the yard are traces of a small rectangular structure at one corner with further small structures, one possibly a flue, at the other. Beyond the yard to the north-east are the robbed remains of extensive slag and cinder heaps. To the extreme north-east are the footings of a small square structure, possibly a chimney, although its location at the downslope end of the site may militate against such an interpretation. (6)
- <1> SDR6682 Bibliographic reference: Farey, J. 1811. A General View of the Agriculture and Minerals of Derbyshire, Vol. 1. p383.
- <2> SDR6351 Personal Observation: Baird, J. F1 JB 02-JUN-66.
- <3> SDR11359 Index: NDAT. 2758. 2758.
- <4> SDR19259 Article in serial: Willies, L. 1969. 'Cupola lead smelting sites in Derbyshire, 1737-1900', Bulletin of the Peak District Mines Historical Society. Vol. 4, part 1. p 103.
- <5> SDR12577 Article in serial: Willies, L. 1972. 'The development of lead smelting in Derbyshire', Peak Archaeological Society. Volume 27, pp 3-9.
- <6> SDR19851 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1998. The Chatsworth Estate Historic Landscape Survey, Chatsworth Moorlands: Archaeological Survey 1997-8. p 98, Feature 17.13.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 30667 68472 (101m by 96m)|
|Civil Parish||HOLYMOORSIDE AND WALTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 24 2015 2:38PM