Monument record MDR5000 - Stone Edge Quarries, Darley Road, Stone Edge, Wingerworth
Type and Period (1)
- SANDSTONE QUARRY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
SK 340672 Stone Edge, Quarries. Former quarries, producing millstones and grindstones. (1) Stone Edge Plantation Quarry was included in a study into the potential to re-establish the roofing slate industry of the South Pennine region. This quarry has been worked in faces up to about 20m high with some fissile rock. Crawshaw Sandstone. Farey refers to Stanage north-west of Wingerworth but this more probably refers to quarries in the Slate Pit Dale area to the east of this site. (2) There is a Quarry, complete with crane, situated at Stone Edge on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (3) Modern maps show the Quarry as disused. (4)
- <1> SDR15813 Bibliographic reference:
- <2> SDR21454 Bibliographic reference: Hughes, T (PDNPA). 1996. The Grey Slates of the South Pennines, Volume Two: The Quarries and the Slates. p 124, Quarry Number Q107.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 339 672 (476m by 138m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WINGERWORTH, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2015 9:54AM