Beard Hall is a 16th century farmhouse with 1850 additions of 2 storeys in coursed stone. It has mullioned windows with drip moulds and a stone slate roof with gable end stacks. (1)
The first house was built on this estate about 1410 by Richard, second son of John Berd or Beard. A new building was erected in 1570 on the earlier foundations. A projecting wing survives, and was once the north cross wing of a larger house. It was taxed on a modest seven hearths in 1670. In the mid-19th century the south cross wing and the central portion, allegedly containing the vestiges of a medieval hall house, were demolished and replaced by a new south range with central gable, projecting porch and mullioned windows with hood moulds. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 008 846 (30m by 20m) (Multiple Site Centre)
NEW MILLS, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 3 2010 12:11PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.