Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR5013 - Stubbing Court, Wingerworth

Type and Period (2)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1725 AD to 1900 AD)
  • ? (Medieval to Georgian - 1400 AD to 1725 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Stubbing Court, 1½ miles west of Wingerworth, is a seven-bay, two-storeyed stone house with central pediment and pedimented doorway. The date is said to be c.1700, with older portions at the back. (1) Stubbing Court is a large 18th century stone house with no external traces of an earlier house. The owner stated that it was believed to incorporate a medieval house but no certain remains were known. See GP: AO/60/33/6 - Stubbing Court, east front from the south-east. (2) Stubbing Court is a two storey ashlar mansion of early 18th century date, perhaps by Smith of Warwick. The interior has Georgian features and the house is set in a fine landscape park. Grade II*. (4) Stubbing Court, known at least until 1815 as Stubbing Hall, is a very agreeable mid-Georgian seat of seven bays and two storeys set in a small park high up on the western edge of Wingerworth parish. Stubbing in Wingerworth (as opposed to Stubbing in nearby Ashover) appears to have derived its name from a branch of the Stubbing family which obtained a small freehold there sometime before 1435, the date John del Stubbinge was recorded in a land grant there. It was held by the middle of the 17th century by a family called Holland, at which time it was probably a modest farmhouse. It came by marriage to Henry Gladwin in 1725, who is said to have 'much improved the house, the woods and ponds', while in 1765 his son, also Henry, 'constructed noble rooms, fronting the house to the east'. This range of 1765 was originally only one-pile deep, which suggests that there was an older range behind, but this was replaced around 1788 by a new one facing west, with a three-bay south range. In addition to extending his house further, Henry Gladwin added 175 acres to his estate as well, and plainly landscaped the park, although who executed his ideas is unknown. The house was tenanted throughout much of the 19th century before being sold in 1890. Much renovation work was carried out during the 20th century; however, despite this, the house and estate are fundamentally unaltered since 1788. (6)

Sources/Archives (7)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p. 226.
  • <2> Personal Observation: F1 WW 27-APR-60.
  • <3> Personal Observation: F2 FRH 25-JUL-66.
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: DOE(HHR) N E Derby RD Derby May 1962 33.
  • <5> Index: NDAT. 2071. 2071.
  • <6> Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2. p. 209.
  • <7> Photograph: Photograph Collection, Conservation & Design section, Derbyshire County Council. HER Images file.



Grid reference Centred SK 3569 6714 (25m by 26m) Centre

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

  • EDR1381
  • EDR1419

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 18 2024 12:42PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.