A deerpark is recorded at Walton, the ancient seat of the Foljambes, extant in 1577. Mentioned in 1306. (1-3)
Reference is made to Walton Park in 1306 and 1563 and Park Hall in 1793. Its exact position and extent are unknown. (4)
Grassy banks run on a north-south alignment to the east and is considered to form the eastern boundary. In the west, a hedgeline leaves the road and follows the course of a track, possibly marking a line of pale. The footpath behind the River Hipper may mark the northern boundary. The park is first mentioned in a dispute between the then prior, Thomas, and Roger son of Robert le Brito first lord of the manor Walton, suggesting a late-12th century or early-13th date for it's establishment. The parkland surrounding Walton Lodge could concievably been part of the medieval parkland. (5)
Bibliographic reference: Lysons, D & Lysons, S. 1817. Magna Britannia, Volume 5: Derbyshire. p 169.
Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society. p321.
Bibliographic reference: Shirley, E. 1867. English Deer and Deer Parks. p171.
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 176-177.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3587 6979 (1231m by 1393m)
HOLYMOORSIDE AND WALTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 25 2022 12:16PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.