Monument record MDR5020 - Toll House, Birkin Lane, Ashover
Type and Period (1)
- TOLL HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- Listed Building (II)
SK 354658 Birkin Lane, Toll House. A tollhouse on the former Birkin Lane Turnpike. It is mentioned in the 1851 census returns as belonging to the Birkin Lane Turnpike Trust. The structure is disused but in a reasonable state of repair (in 1973). (1-2) Two storey, gritstone former toll house on the former Birkin Lane turnpike. (3) Late 18th with 19th additions, altered and extended 1992. Regularly coursed rubble gritstone with quoins, coped gables to earlier part, brick gabled chimneys, and stone and Welsh slate roof coverings. South-east elevation of 2 storeys and 2 bays, the north-east bay an addition. Doorway to north-east end of earlier bay with massive lintel and quoined surround, and door obscured by boarding to the south-west; staggered 2-light flush-mullioned windows, the upper floor window similar to that to the ground floor. Window frames have been removed. Later bay with stacked window openings with flush surrounds and without window frames. Blocked single-light ground-floor opening with flush surround to south-west end. Rear elevation has long catslide roof over single-storey offshut, with a single-light 18th century window with flush surround to rear wall of earlier bay. Lower lean-to range with separate roof to later bay. No access to interior. The Birkin Lane turnpike was a feeder route which linked with the Chesterfield and Matlock turnpike. (4) The only toll house on Birkinlane Turnpike between the one at Belfit Hill in Wingerworth (now demolished) and the western terminus of the turnpike at Buntingfield Nook. Derelict when first photogrpahed in 1977, refurbished and extended to the rear by 1995. For sale as 'Toll Bar Cottage' in 2003. (5)
- <1> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(g).1, with photos.
- <2> SDR10855 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 0106. 0106.
- <3> SDR19367 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <5> SDR19745 Unpublished document: Edwards, D. 2006. Notes on various SMR entries compiled during research for the new Victoria County History.
|Grid reference||SK 3545 6585 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||ASHOVER, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 27 2015 1:45PM