Egstow Hall was built in the early Elizabethan period. The roof shows re-used cruck timbers, which may have come from the demolished eastern bay(s) of the cruck barn (SMR 14402). (1)
Egstow Hall is a three-storey T-plan gabled house with a stair-turret in the north angle. Dated 1671, but part may be earlier. Mullioned windows, continuous hoods making string-courses on the front. (2)
Egstow Hall was restored in 1969. (3)
This house is dated 1671, with minor 19th and 20th century restoration. It is built of coursed sandstone rubble, and has large gritstone quoins and sandstone dressings. There are continuous moulded stringcourses to the first and second storeys. It has slate roofs with stone ridges, and moulded stone copings and kneelers to the gables. There are stone gable end and ridge stacks. The house is of two bays, with a T-shaped plan, and is two storeys high plus attics. There is a chamfered quoined doorcase to east, with two lintels, that above with fleur de lys type pattern on raised keystone. Over a door in the western gable there is a large stone plaque inscribed 'Built by Archelaus Brailsford June ... Anno Dom 1671'. There is also a plaque in the gable above inscribed 'MJH 1969'. The west elevation has an outline in the masonry of a former two-storey porch. There is a gabled stair turret to the rear. Inside the house is a newel staircase, with original oak boards from the first floor upwards. There is a segmental arched doorcase to the ground floor, and a large double corbelled fireplace with decorated lintel to the dining room. There is also a similar, smaller fireplace to the kitchen. (4)
Egstow Hall is a subsidiary house on the Wingerworth Hall estate. In 1618 Philip Hunloke, a nephew of the builder of Wingerworth Hall, was accused of keeping his house in bad repair, which may have led to the building of a new one. It is L-shaped and built of coursed Coal Measures sandstone rubble (probably deep Hard Rock) with similar dressings. In about 1671 it appears to have come into the hands of Archelaus, son of Hercules Brailsford (possibly by marriage), when he left his initials on a datestone, marking some minor alterations. After the Brailsfords left in the mid-18th century, it appears to have been reintegrated with the Wingerworth estate until it was sold with 50 acres in 1920. Today it is a private residence. (5)
Vernacular building dated to 1671 as indicated by an inscribed datestone. (6)
Bibliographic reference: Bunker, B. 1970. Cruck Buildings: An Opinion as to their Origin and Dating. LS 728.6. p 59.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 346.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 79467.
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2. p 241.
Index: Evans, R. 1976. Some dated vernacular buildings in Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3907 6500 (16m by 15m) (Centre)
TUPTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2018 2:25PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.