Monument record MDR5048 - Wingerworth Park (site of), Wingerworth
Type and Period (2)
- DEER PARK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LANDSCAPE PARK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
There is a reference to 'unum parcum' at Wingerworth in 1427. Field names from the 1848 Tithe Award include Pale Close and Park Gate, suggesting at least a general locality. (1, 2) A map of 1758 shows a park extending to the east and south-east of Wingerworth Hall. It is divided into four sections, 'Deer Park', 'Horse Park', 'Bushy Park' and 'Cow Paddock', and contains what appear to be several avenues of trees and nine separate ponds (one with an island). (3). The tithe map of 1834 no longer shows these four separate areas and there had clearly been modifications to the western boundaries of the park. (4) In 1753-54 William Baker of Audlem worked at Wingerworth and left a plan for laying out the park of 107 acres, but there is no evidence that the latter was proceeded with. The park, which was well stocked with deer, was also subject to a scheme for improvement by William Emes in 1777; some work may have been done this time, including the modest lake to the west. Later still, Humphrey Repton was commissioned to produce a Red Book for remodelling the park, which is dated 15 September 1788; again nothing seems to have been done, although the lodges he suggested at the west gate were built. (5)
- <1> SDR11565 Index: NDAT. 3900. 3900.
- <2> SDR13112 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society. p 332.
- <3> SDR20819 Map: 1758. Land at Wingerworth and Tupton.
- <4> SDR20820 Map: 1843. Wingerworth Tithe Map.
- <5> SDR19744 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2. p 240.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 37 67 (1036m by 838m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WINGERWORTH, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 12 2022 11:36AM