A Roman lead pig was reported to have been found in March 1894 face downwards about two feet beneath the surface, in the course of inclosing and reclaiming common land at Portland Grange on Tansley Moor, two miles north-east of Matlock, on high ground east of the Derwent Valley. The surface round the point of discovery is said to have seemed scooped into small hollows, showing the action of fire, and it is suggested that these may have served for the melting of the lead. The find went to the British Museum (accession no. 1818.104.22.168). It weighed 175lbs, with dimensions of 3½ by 19¾ inches at the top, 5¼ by 22¼ inches at the bottom and just under 4½ inches thick. It was only inscribed on the top: P. Rubri Abascanti, metalli Lutudare(n)s(is). (1)
Portland Grange is at SK 32006168, the published name, Hurdley Grange (O.S. 6") is incorrect. The present owner stated that his late father had known of the 'pig' found and indicated the reclaimed field to be centred at SK 31866177, this field is now under crop. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Haverfield, F. 1905. 'Romano-British Derbyshire', in Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Vol 1. p 232.
Personal Observation: F1 FRH 26-AUG-66.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3186 6177 (10m by 10m) (Centre)
MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2015 11:05AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.