"A Roman road has been discovered at Matlock in the Haw Leys … The road to the ford (Sheepford) 26ft wide and so hard that to cut through it steel wedges had to be used. The surface as smooth as a billiard table." The depth of this old road below the present surface is about 14ft and it is 100 yards below the crossing from the bridge to the Haw Leys, in a slanting direction from the Steep Turnpike, on the Chesterfield Road. From Oker the road came down to what is now the Snitterton road. (1)
Authority 1, with its reference to a "Roman military station" on Oker Hill and to the Chesterfield Road as the "Roman Latudarum" must be considered as of very doubtful value. The identification of this Roman road is therefore very suspect. (2) No further information. (3)
Article in serial: British Archaeological Association. 1922. Journal of the British Archaeological Association. Vol 28 N.S., p 253.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 299 601 (point) (Centre)
MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 17 2017 3:49PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.