Building record MDR5069 - Former tram depot and engine house, Rutland Street, Matlock Town
Type and Period (2)
- TRAM DEPOT (Former Type) (Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1893 AD to 1927 AD)
- ENGINE HOUSE (Former Type) (Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1893 AD to 1927 AD)
The Rutland Street Tram Depot was designed by J. Turner in 1893 and consists of a car shed, in which the tracks and pits remain, workshops, boiler house, winding house, and an unusual waiting room. It served the Matlock Cable Tramway (SMR 10067). Apart from the removal of the upper part of the chimney, the depot is unaltered. In 1987 it was in use as a vehicle repair depot, an electrical service business, shop etc. (1, 2) The depot consists of a car shed, with pits and track, workshop, boiler house and winding house surviving. The waiting room also survives. (3) Former engine house which housed the engine used to power the cable tramway which ran from Crown Square up Bank Road. The truncated remains of the chimney are still evident. The tramway was a single track, the road widening at a passing point. (4)
- <1> SDR3846 Bibliographic reference: CBA Panel on Indust Mons 1975 2.
- <2> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 11.31, with photo.
- <3> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Tram depot: Matlock.
- <4> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 30207 60835 (34m by 47m) Approximate|
|Civil Parish||MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 10 2022 1:25PM