Monument record MDR5070 - Pond Cottages (former cupola), Lumsdale, Matlock Town
Type and Period (4)
- COUNTING HOUSE (Georgian - 1749 AD to 1800 AD)
- CUPOLA FURNACE (Georgian - 1749 AD to 1800 AD)
- BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (Georgian - 1749 AD to 1800 AD)
- TERRACE (Georgian - 1790 AD to 1830 AD)
- None recorded
A terrace of cottages converted in c. 1790 from a lead smelting cupola, counting house and smithy that was originally built in 1748-1751. There is a preserved ground plan with considerable documentary evidence. (1-3) Pond Cottages were originally a Cupola for smelting lead built in 1749 on land known as East Moor. The building was converted into cottages in 1813, with one of the cottages having been the Counting House. (2) In 1749 a lease of ground to build a cupola was granted to George and John Wall and John Twigg. In 1758 two cupolas transferred to Matthew Spark Whitfield, Joseph Boote and Lydia Woodward. In June 1762, Whitfield, Boote and Woodward assigned one cupola, the north end of the building, to George Norman of Winster, together with two ore houses, counting house and smithy, leaving Whitfield to occupy the south end with the other cupola. By 1790 the whole site had come into the possession of William Milnes of Ashover and soon afterwards the buildings were converted into five messuages. Today the cottages, now six as that at the north end has been subdivided, are known to their occupants as 'Cupalo'. (4) Immediately south of Pond 2 is the terrace known as Pond Cottages; the buildings are not included in the scheduling but the ground beneath is included because of the archaeological potential of the buried remains of the lead cupola for which the structure was originally constructed. (6)
- <1> SDR3855 Bibliographic reference: Committee on British Archaeology. 1975. Panel on Industrial Monuments.
- <2> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Lumsdale Cupola.
- <3> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 11.9.
- <4> SDR19259 Article in serial: Willies, L. 1969. 'Cupola lead smelting sites in Derbyshire, 1737-1900', Bulletin of the Peak District Mines Historical Society. Vol. 4, part 1. pp 105-106.
- <5> SDR19167 Bibliographic reference: Drabble, P. 1997. Tansley Village : Lumsdale - A Treasure of Industrial Archaeology (from www.tansleyvillage.org.uk).
- <6> SDR22101 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2014. Scheduling notification: Lumsdale Mills and associated water mamangement features. List entry no. 1417570.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 31336 60782 (37m by 47m)|
|Civil Parish||MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 19 2017 2:56PM