Monument record MDR5078 - Woodhead Mine (site of), Gin Lane, Ashover
Type and Period (3)
- LEAD MINE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MINE SHAFT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- OUTBUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The remains of the 18th century Woodhead lead mine. It consists of several shaft hollows and the remains of small buildings used for storing lead ore. (1-2) The site no longer survives, and has been buried in modern quarry spoil. (3) Mine was opened possibly circa 1780 by a partnership consisting mainly of members of the Gregory family, its ore output declining from 80 tons in 1784 to 16 tons in 1789. The accounts of the mine are unfortunately fragmentary. (4)
- <1> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index.
- <2> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Woodhead Mine, Ashover.
- <3> SDR19572 Verbal communication: Information from Stuart Band. 31/10/04.
- <4> SDR23453 Article in serial: Hopkinson, G. 1952. 'Lead mining in 18th century Ashover', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 352 618 (289m by 135m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||ASHOVER, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 21 2016 4:28PM