Originally 16th century, but with a Victorian/Jacobean front elevation. Two-storeys, rendered, with a Welsh slate roof. (1)
The Jodrell Arms was originally a farmhouse constructed in the late 16th century. It appears to have been enlarged to the west by erecting what was virtually a second house alongside, possibly creating an 'H' plan building. By the later 18th century it had become an alehouse; the earliest aleseller's licence known so far dates from 1775. The alehouse appears to have been known as Whaley House prior to 1810, and then as The Cock or the Cock Inn. By 1851 it had acquired its present name, The Jodrell Arms. A western wing was demolished during construction of a new hotel wing, built following the construction of the railway station in 1863. A plan that accompanies deeds of 1896 shows the hotel at that time, and provides details of the various outbuilding functions including a stable for 8 horses, a shippon for 8 cows, a manure pit, a coach house, a further stable for 3 horses and a drying ground. (2)
Unpublished document: Adam Bench Architects. 2008. Jodrell Arms Hotel, Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire. Supporting Architectural Statement and Conservation Plan. HER Doc. No. 1145.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 011 815 (27m by 64m) (Centre)
WHALEY BRIDGE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 2 2015 2:00PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.