Monument record MDR5138 - Limekilns, Fall Hill and Hockley Quarry, Ashover
Type and Period (1)
- LIME KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The remains of a group of limekilns at Fallgate, Ashover. They are arranged with another group just off Hockley Lane (SMR 532). They are of limestone construction, partially blocked with earth and masonry. (1) Two lime kilns at Hockley in a natural fissure in the cliff edge. Described in 1973 as being in poor condition. (4) Limekilns, Fallgate. At Fallgate stand the remains of several limekilns, in two groups, just off Hockley Lane. They are not accessible and are in poor condition. (5) Location is more accurately described as Hockley Quarry. Two kilns and a weighing machine here are marked on the plan accompanying the notice sale of Hockley House and adjoining property on July 13th 1892. The quarry was rented by Ashover Lime Co. at the time. A Twigg estate sale on January 12th 1835 included as lot No. 6 'five closes near the Town… including Lime Kiln Delph', the quarry and kilns at which 'are now in full work', but the plan is missing so it is not clear if this also was Hockley Quarry. (6)
- <1> SDR10857 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 0108. 0108.
- <2> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Limekilns, Ashover.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Derbyshire XXX.9.
- <4> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(h).1; July 16 1973..
- <5> SDR19367 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire. P.26.
- <6> SDR19745 Unpublished document: Edwards, D. 2006. Notes on various SMR entries compiled during research for the new Victoria County History.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 35064 62712 (65m by 59m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ASHOVER, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 1 2017 4:44PM