Monument record MDR5152 - Alleged Quaker burial ground, Woodthorpe Hall, Clay Cross
Type and Period (2)
- CEMETERY ? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GRAVESTONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
According to a private publication in the possession of the owner of Woodthorpe Hall in the mid 20th century, the now demolished cruck barn [see SMR 4205] stood in 'the old Quaker Burial Ground'. (1) Another report on the barn states that, according to an informant, 'the floor had been paved with 18th century gravestones from the Quaker burying ground at Tupton and that one could read the inscriptions'. (2) The 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 marks the site of a Friends burial ground at Old Tupton, at approximately SK 391 652 (see SMR 14409), so this may have been source for the gravestones. (3)
- <1> SDR6033 Bibliographic reference: Hilton, P. c. 1954. Historical Note on Woodthorpe Hall - private publication.
- <2> SDR7132 Article in serial: Heathcote, J P. 1949. 'The Woodthorpe Barn', Derbyshire Countryside. Vol. 17 (8), p 305, photo.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||SK 3840 6489 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CLAY CROSS, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 11 2017 12:39PM