Scheduled Monument record MDR5168 - Castle Hill Motte, Holmesfield
Type and Period (1)
- MOTTE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
An artificial mound known as Castle Hill, just to the back of the village school, Holmesfield, seems to have been a small example of a ditch-encircled mount, without any bailey or court attached to it. (1) This castle mound has been partially destroyed on the S.E. by building. The top of the mound is 18.0m in diameter, and the centre is slightly sunken, but there is no trace of a building. The surrounding ditch now only remains on the northern side - greatest width 15.0m, depth 1.2m below land level and 3.2m below mound. See GP AO/53/17/3. (3) Published survey (25" 1953) revised; otherwise as described. (4) Castle Hill, Holmesfield. The motte has been destroyed on the south side by a cutting for a house and a parish hall. The top of the mound is 18 metres in diameter with a slightly sunken centre. This feature, together with a medieval door lintel stone which may be seen in the body of a nearby field wall, might indicate that the motte incorporated a stone tower. The ditch survives on the northern side, with an average depth of 1.5 metres below the surrounding land surface and an average width of 14 metres. (5) Photographic record. (7) Scheduling revised in 1993. The scheduled monument includes the motte or castle mound, the defensive ditch around the base of the motte on the north side and the bailey on the south and west sides. The motte is a 3m high flat-topped mount measuring c.30m across the summit. Its appearance indicates that it was the site of a shell keep. The castle was the centre of a medieval manor and was probably abandoned by its owners or tenants in favour of the later medieval moated site 400m to the north-east (SMR 8008). (8)
- <1> SDR19691 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1905. 'Ancient Earthworks', in The Victoria County History of Derbyshire, Volume 1. pp 357-396. pp 374-5.
- <2> SDR702 Scheduling record: A.M's Eng. Wales, 1961, 32 (M.O.W.).
- <3> SDR6406 Bibliographic reference: F1 JHO 12-DEC-52.
- <4> SDR6593 Bibliographic reference: F2 FRH 23-NOV-65.
- <5> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p 146.
- <6> SDR11000 Index: NDAT. 1263. 1263.
- <7> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 8009.1-2.
- <8> SDR19483 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1993. Scheduling notification: Castle Hill motte and bailey castle. 23290.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3188 7763 (75m by 55m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HOLMESFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 22 2020 9:25AM