Holmesfield Hall is dated 1613 inside. It has mullioned windows with straight hoods. The front was redone in the 18th century. (1)
This is a farmhouse of stone construction and of two main builds, the earlier of which is said to date from 1613, an internal date, with a second phase occurring a hundred years later that included a major refronting and an extension westwards. There is some evidence in the curtailment of certain features that the 1613 block was reduced in width in the later phase. The farmhouse has yet to be surveyed but it is thought unlikely that it contains much that pre-dates 1600. It replaced an earlier building, the medieval hall, now used as an outbuilding. The Burton family was one of the principal lessees of Holmesfield Hall from the late 16th century. They were involved in lead smelting and prospered in the 17th century. The rebuilding of the hall is likely to be bound up with profits made from the lead industry. It is the Burton coat of arms which appears over the main door on the refronted 'new' hall. (2)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'PARISH OF HOLMESFIELD MAIN ROAD SK 37 NW 5/161 Holmesfield Hall 31.1.67 GV II* House. Early C17, remodelled in C18, refurbished 1983-5. Ashlar and coursed rubble coal measures sandstone with shallow plinth, quoins, moulded eaves cornice, ridge and gable ashlar stacks. Hipped Welsh slated roof and stone stacks to remodelled C18 addition to rear. L-plan house, with evidence of advanced wing to east end. South elevation two storeys, three bays with 3-light flush mullioned windows to end bays, 4-light windows to centre. First floor windows shallower than those to ground floor, and with cills linked by a continuous band course. Ground floor window at west end blocked. Doorway west of centre with moulded architrave, pulvinated frieze, bracketed broken pediment supporting an achievement with the motto 'VIRTUS ARDUA VINCET'. C20 panelled door. West elevation with flush mullioned and transomed window, with basement level now blocked. A single light, a 4-light and a taller 2-light mullioned window beneath dripmoulds, that to the 4-light opening with label stops. Two first floor sash windows in flush surrounds and a blocked single light opening to the east. East elevation with mid wall quoining, which pre-dates the C17 2-light chamfer mullioned windows, to the east end, the most central example being blocked. To the west of the intermediate quoining, two glazing bar sashes, 4 x 4 panes with three narrower lights above. Interior. C17 oak square panelling to two ground floor rooms, with some C18 panelling also, elsewhere at ground and first floor level some pine plank and muntin partitioning with simple scratch mould decoration. C17 ornamental overmantle with strapwork and carved embellishment to eastern ground floor, which also has C17 moulded plaster ceilings divided into square panels, with applied enrichment to beam soffits and panels. Evidence of an advanced wing now lost in this area may be seen in the disturbed panels of ceiling plasterwork on the south side. The central ground floor room has a C17 stone hearth with massive cambered head and quoined surround. West range retains a late C17 triple arch hearth range.
Listing NGR: SK3193777683.'