Listed Building record MDR522 - St Thomas a Becket's Church, Burrfields, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Type and Period (1)
- ANGLICAN CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1300 AD to 2050 AD)
St. Thomas a Becket's Church, Chapel-en-le-Frith, was rebuilt towards the close of the 18th century, with the exception of the chancel and a portion of the north side of the nave. (1) The Chancel was practically rebuilt in 1890-1893. (2) The west tower and south front were re-clad in 1731-1733. (5) The church replaced a chapel built by the Foresters of Peak Forest and dedicated to St. Thomas a Becket, granted in 1225. It was consecrated by Bishop Savenby. (6)
- <1> SDR17281 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. II. pp. 145-6.
- <2> SDR3581 Bibliographic reference: Bunting, W B. 1940. Chapel-en-le-Frith. p. 69.
- <3> SDR6125 Bibliographic reference: F1 BHS 24-AUG-65.
- <4> SDR5543 Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Boro of High Peak, Derbyshire, April 1984, 18-19.. pp. 18-19.
- <5> SDR14433 Index: NDAT. 0621.
- <6> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p. 144.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0577 8082 (39m by 28m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 12 2021 4:47PM