Monument record MDR524 - Swyer or Rushope Cross (site of), west of Rushup Lane, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Type and Period (1)
(Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
SK 0910 8232: Swyer or Rushope Cross (site of). Swyer Cross is referred to in a deed of 1657 relating to a sale of part of a neighbourship at Rushop. There is a close called Swyer Green on the opposite side of the Castleton Road to the Poors Piece, and the late Mr Greaves Bagshawe thought that the cross stood hereabouts close to the meeting of several ancient highways. Possibly that marked 'Rushope Cross'. (1, 2)
The site falls in an arable field. No remains of a cross were noted . (3)
Bibliographic reference: Bunting, W B. 1940. Chapel-en-le-Frith. p 15, map.
Map: P.R.O. Duchy of Lancaster. Plans, No. 23.
Bibliographic reference: F1 BHS 24-AUG-65.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0910 8232 (10m by 10m) (Centre)
CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 18 2015 2:39PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.