Monument record MDR5246 - Coke Ovens, Ramshaw Lodge
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
SK 3775 7707. The Ramshaw coke ovens were worked from c. 1841 to c1871, when coal could be used in steam engines instead of coke. The colliery lasted until the 1890s. (1) Two rows of Beehive coke ovens in the grounds of Ramshaw Lodge, of 19th century date. Upper row of 11 stands above an abandoned railway line, only the front sections survive. A second row, overgrown, borders the drive from Unstone Green. (2, 3) The upper row are of header brick construction with a covering of earth and stones, 10' diameter and 6'3" high at the apex. The wall is vertical for the first 2'6", with a single charging hole 10" diameter, no other flue. There is no apparent emptying arch at the front. (4) Coke Ovens, Ramshawe Lodge. Remains of beehive coke ovens now incorporated into the ornamental grounds of Ramshawe Lodge which was originally the Unstone Colliery Manager's house. As they lie within the garden of a private house and cannot be seen from any public thoroughfare, they may only be viewed by arrangement with the owners of Ramshawe Lodge. An upper row of eleven ovens are simple domes constructed of a single skin of header bricks covered with stone and earth: 10ft diameter and 6ft 3ins high. The wall is vertical for 2ft 6ins above the ground and there is a charging hole of 10ins diameter at the top of each oven. Some were used as pig sties in later years. The lower range of ovens is hidden in the shrubbery and covered with ivy. All the ovens originally belonged to Rangeley & Co. and date from the coming of the railway. (5)
- <1> SDR4653 Article in serial: Reedman, K & Sissons, M. 1984. 'Unstone coke ovens', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 104, pp 10-18.
- <2> SDR11159 Index: NDAT. 2001. 2001.
- <3> SDR4466 Unpublished document: DCC Archive.
- <4> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Beehive coke ovens, Unstone.
- <5> SDR19367 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire. P.40.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3780 7704 (86m by 95m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||UNSTONE, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 13 2016 10:32AM