Monument record MDR525 - ?Round barrow, Mag Low, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW ? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
(SK 07888175) Mag Low. (1). A circular turf-covered mound which has the appearance of a barrow. Diameter 23.0m, height 1.3m. In the area are mounds of near-outcrop rock and it is possible that Mag Low may be natural. Published survey (25" 1921) revised. (2). Revised survey of 5th October 1962 found correct. (3). Dimensions: Lengith is c.24m, Breadth is c.15m, Height is c.0.7m. This amorphous mound is oval and 0.7m high from west and 1.2m high from the north. The land drops away steeply from the mound to the east. The southern side has been quarried/robbed. It may have been ploughed over in the past. The location on an uneven ridge suggests an interpretation as a natural knoll. It is not convincing as a barrow. (7) Once scheduled, but descheduled in 1993 (Derbyshire 160).
- <1> SDR12080 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR6411 Personal Observation: F1 JHW 05-OCT-62.
- <3> SDR6545 Personal Observation: F2 BHS 24-AUG-65.
- <4> SDR14961 Index: OS. SK 08 SE 5. SK 08 SE 5.
- <5> SDR14437 Index: NDAT. 0625.
- <6> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 27.
- <7> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 18:10.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0788 8175 (24m by 23m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2013 12:17PM