(Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
Summerley Colliery, run by J Rhodes and Co., Dronfield, was worked until circa 1880. The engine house, which housed a Cornish Engine, still stands. It is red brick, English Bond, 10m by 9m by 15m high (33ft by 29ft by 50ft) to a gabled roof. The front wall facing the engine shaft is 1.7m (5ft 3ins) thick, braced with iron tie bars 40mm (1.75ins) thick. The building is supposed to have had three more chambers below. It was converted to a dwelling in around 1912, with two floors and stairs and fireplaces added. It is now in the middle of a modern piggery. The engine was removed in 1912 following the installation of better pumps at Unstone Colliery. There are two infilled shafts nearby. A blacksmith's shop stands near the engine house. There is a battery of 48 Beehive coke ovens across the railway track, which were in use until 1921, (see SMR 4724). (1-2)
The engine house and associated buildings were demolished in the 1970s. (3)
Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Summerley colliery, Dronfield.
Unpublished document: Harvey, J (Dronfield Civic Society). 2011. Email to the HER Officer, November 4 2011.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 368 780 (266m by 326m) (Centre)
DRONFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2017 4:37PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.