SK 3530 7835 Church Street, Green Dragon Inn. Green Dragon Inn is 17th century, with a pointed arch and remains inside of the 17th century and later. It is rendered with mullioned windows. It was part of a medieval chantry (SMR 4733). (1)
A grade II listed public house. It dates to the 17th century, with 18th century additions and 19th and 20th century alterations. It is built of roughcast sandstone with brick gable stacks, and has a Welsh slated roof. It is an L-plan house, with later advanced range at west end. The main range north elevation has two storeys and attics, with two bays containing four-light chamfered windows, below windows below drip moulds flanking the off-centre doorway which has a simply moulded surround. The first floor has a two and three-light chamfer mullioned window, both beneath drip moulds and, on the heads of these openings, two-light chamfer mullioned attic windows. All openings have leaded lights, some early. There is an advanced two-bay range with sash windows in plain surrounds to the ground floor and above, one semi-circular headed window and one inserted 19th century window, both with 20th century glazing. (3)
This building was originally the 'Chantry House'. The Chantry priest lived in the house and prayed for the dead in the church of St John the Baptist opposite. He also taught Latin and church music to boys. The Guild of the Blessed Virgin Mary, a lay charitable organisation to help people in need, especially widows and orphans, met in the Chantry House. It was endowed by character in 1349. At the Reformation in 1545, the chantries and the guilds were dissolved; how soon after this date it functioned as an alehouse or inn is not known. However, alterations to the building were made around that time when a second floor and stone-mulloined windows were added in 16th century-style replacing the small original windows. A fireplace was also added to the north end of the building. At a later date, which is difficult to establish because of subsequent additions and alterations, Chantry House was divided: the hall becoming an inn, and the chamber and cellar used as a separate dwelling retaining the name 'The Chantry'. Such a name would not fit an inn, so it was called 'The Green Dragon'. (4)
Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 3070. 3070.
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p. 229.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE no: 1335504.
Bibliographic reference: Old Dronfield Society. 2009. Explore Dronfield: Heritage Trail No. 1 Dronfield Old Town.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3521 7841 (33m by 15m) (Centre)
DRONFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 8 2015 2:08PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.