SK 0987 8098: Gautries Hill, Round Barrow: Round barrow with a diameter of 60ft. And a height of 3ft. (3) located on top of Gautries Hill. It was excavated in 1876 when two contracted burials in a cist were found, accompanied by flint flakes and a bone pin. Other finds in the tumulus included an arrowhead, ornamented urn fragments, flint flakes and human and animal bones. It is now a scheduled monument (4). (1,3,4). (SK 0987 8098) Tumulus. (2)
A turf-covered round barrow, with a diameter of 16.0m and a height of 0.7m. Some small stones are exposed. Published survey (25" 1921) revised. (5). Revised survey of the 5th October 1962 was found to be correct. (7). The pottery in Bolton Museum from this site includes Food Vessel fragments. (6)
Much of the barrow has been ploughed over and is only 0.3m - 0.5m high. The exception is a central portion, which measures 0.9m x 0.6m, is steep sided and c.1.0m high. This has been robbed from the north. The excavation cut right through the mound but there is little clear sign of this trench today. The description of the finds given in (9) is correct except the two inhumations were in, not on, the cist. The Food Vessel sherds are probably the decorated sherds referred to by Pennington. The animal bones included red deer, ox and pig. (12)
The monument is situated at the summit of Gautries Hill in the north-west uplands of the limestone plateau of Derbyshire. It is a bowl barrow which includes a sub-circular mound measuring 17m by 15m and standing c.1.5m high. It is in a prominent location and is mutually visible with barrows on the tops of nearby Snels Low and Eldon Hill. A partial excavation of the site was carried out in 1876 by Pennington and Tym who discovered two limestone cists or graves, in which were found numerous flints and a bone pin. Elsewhere in the mound, human and animal bones were uncovered in addition to further flints and the remains of a pottery food vessel. The remains date the barrow to the Bronze Age. (13).
Disturbed prehistoric circular barrow excavated by Pennington and Tym in 1876. The spoil from this excavation was either backfilled or is now masked by the erection and removal of the trig point on top of the barrow (12). (14). Photograph collection. (15)
Bibliographic reference: Pennington, R. 1877. Notes on the Barrows and Bone Caves of Derbyshire. pp 26-28.
Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 11604.1-3.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0987 8098 (15m by 17m) (Centre)
PEAK FOREST, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 4 2015 9:32AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.