Map evidence for at least two brick kilns and a quarry on the east side of Sheffield Road. On the east side of the complex is a deep cutting for the main railway line to Sheffield. In 1876 there was a short tunnel within the cutting, providing a bridge across the line from the brick kilns and the clay pit. Interestingly, Broomhouse brickworks (SMR 3987) was sited just to the south east of this tunnel/bridge, and there may be indications of a trackway between the two. (1)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1883. OS Six Inch to One Mile, 1st Edition 1883 (Surveyed 1876).
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 374 753 (183m by 174m) (Multiple Site Centre)
CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 30 2016 10:23AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.