Unstone colliery: depicted on the OS 1916 edition map. (1)
Several structures survive as ruins:
1) Small arched feature, 10ft away from date stone 'Unstone Colliery 1912'.
2) Three-sided brick structure covered in ivy. Inside, four iron posts protrude from floor - fittings for machinery/engine.
3) Four-sided stone structure: wooden beam on floor, welsh slates, brick floor - c. 50ft from No. 2.
4) To west of No. 3 is a large pit beyond which is a dry pond. To west of pit is a brick wall 10-12 feet high with doorway to stone structure and building remains beyond.
5) At sothern end of the pond are two very substantial brick arches, 9 feet deep and 8 feet high. The whole area is covered in slack. (2)
Personal Observation: Staunton, P. 1994. Notes on site visit to Unstone Colliery 19/04/1994.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 36970 77826 (point)
DRONFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 1 2017 5:21PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.