Coal mine expanded with establishment of railway in 1870. Shown on the 1st edition OS map of c. 1880 with several buildings, at least one shaft, rail siding. At this stage no indication is given of earthworks to NNE or the 'old tramway' which linked to the mine at Apperknowle. (1)
By the 2nd edition OS map of c. 1900 the mine is shown as 'disused'. There are now extensive earthworks to the NNE including the 'old tramway' which may have had two lines from the Unstone Main Colliery, indicated by two linear banks, converging at the former quarry through which the tramway continued to the NE as a single bank/cutting. (2)
By the 3rd edition 25" OS map of the early 20th century, virtually all above ground buildings at the colliery had gone. The earthworks remain, along with two 'old shafts' adjacent to the Unstone Colliery Branch line. (3)
Closure of other collieries and the attendant drainage problems may have contributed to the closure of Unstone Main Colliery. (4)
Unstone Main Colliery had a double and a single range of coke ovens, the elongated structures shown in 1898. The double range had existed in 1876 (1). It has been stated that the single range was in use around 1899 (5), although the colliery was by then disused and the tracks which might have served the single bank had been removed (2). It may be, however, that the coke ovens continued in use. The twin line for the tramway at Unstone Main may have served to supply coal from the Apperknowle Mine (Unstone North?) to both the coke ovens, as well as for direct loading onto railway wagons. Yet the tramway was clearly out of use by 1898 (2).
Colliery Building. On the approximate site of Unstone Colliery is a large inscribed keystone of an arch. It lies in a small plantation; some scanty remains of the main structure may be seen nearby. (6)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Battye, K. 1981. Unstone, the history of a village.
Article in serial: Battye, K, Doncaster, R, Mitchell, I & Newing, D. 1989. 'Summerley Colliery Coke Ovens', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 109. pp. 180-191.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire. P.40.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 37326 77446 (494m by 322m)
UNSTONE, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2017 4:38PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.