Tramway linking the coal mines at Unstone Main (SMR 14538) and Apperknowle (SMR 14540) (Unstone North?). Tramway built after 1876 (1) but out of use by 1898 (2). Probably built to supply coal for shipping from the disused Unstone Main Colliery on the branch line and for loading the single (and the double?) bank of coke ovens at Unstone Main after the latter was closed. At southern end there appears to have been a split in the tramway to allow trucks to either go on to the railway, or to get closer to the coke ovens. The tramway variously runs along an embankment (northern half) or in a deep cutting (southern half), crossing a former quarry at SK373 37769 (1). Gaps in the embankment at Unstone Main were evident in 1896 and might represent points where small bridges carried the line. The earthworks in the northern part of Unstone Main are covered in shrubs and bushes . (3)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Personal Observation: Myers, A. Site visit or other evidence. 1995 site visit.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 37576 77986 (890m by 1076m)
UNSTONE, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2017 4:38PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.