Monument record MDR5297 - Haughton Cross (remains of), Leash Fen, Barlow
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
SK 301 744. Remains of a ?13th century cross-shaft with incised cross on face: 300 yards south-east of the junction of Unthank Lane and Rumbling Street and 50 yards west of the field wall. Possibly a boundary cross associated with Beauchief Abbey. (1, 2) Situated at SK 3006 7444. The shaft is free standing in a stone base. It was not determined whether the two portions are contemporary. See G.P. AO/53/17/7. (3) The cross stands next to the former Chesterfield-Big Moor-Hope Bridleway and may have marked the boundary of the grant of the wastes of Barlow to Beauchief Abbey. (4) Photographic record. (5)
- <1> SDR15467 Index: Preston, F (Hunter Archaeological Society). 1956. Transcript from the Hunter Archaeological Society Index.
- <2> SDR13816 Bibliographic reference: Sheffield Clarion Ramblers' Handbook, 1941-2.
- <3> SDR6266 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 21-OCT-65.
- <4> SDR10877 Index: NDAT. 0224. 0224.
- <5> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 526.1.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3006 7444 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BARLOW, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 8 2016 11:04AM