Monument record MDR531 - Market Cross, Market Place, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Type and Period (1)
- MARKET CROSS (Stuart to Victorian - 1636 AD? to 1900 AD)
SK 0571 8070: Chapel-en-le-Frith, Market Cross. (1) The market cross at Chapel-en-le-Frith has vague markings which could read '1636'. (2) The monument is a late medieval or early post-medieval market cross located on the south side of the market place in Chapel en le Frith. It is constructed of gritstone and comprises a stepped base or calvary of four steps rising to a roughly octagonal socle or socket stone surmounted by a tapering octagonal shaft. At the top of the shaft is a Latin-style cross head which appears, formerly, to have had an additional feature projecting from the top. This feature is now missing and it is not clear what it may have been. The cross is undecorated but for roll-mouldings on the terminals of the cross arms and on the east and west faces of the cross head. In addition, the socle has sloping chamfered corners so that the base is square rather than octagonal and measures c.50cm on each side. The shaft is over two metres tall and c.30cm square, and the base step has a diameter of c. two and half metres. The shaft is in four sections which have been mortared together and this, together with the fact that the cross head is also mortared in place, suggests that the monument has been broken and restored. In the past, a date of 1643 has been suggested for the cross but the reason for this is unclear. In addition to being scheduled the cross is Listed Grade II. (3) A Medieval market cross with a slightly tapered shaft and a Latin-type head; square base on steps. (4,5) Grade II listed gritstone market cross, dating from c. 1643. It has a three stepped square base and a square, slightly tapering and partly chamfered pier, approximately 8 feet high. There is a latin type head. Now a Scheduled Ancient Monument. Kellys Directory of 1904 refers to the cross being dated 1643. (6)
- <1> SDR12006 Map: OS. 1879. 25".
- <2> SDR3581 Bibliographic reference: Bunting, W B. 1940. Chapel-en-le-Frith. p. 50, photo 146.
- <3> SDR918 Scheduling record: Ministry of Works. 1961. Ancient Monuments of England and Wales. 23385.
- <4> SDR8376 Bibliographic reference: M H L G (1986/11/A June 1964) 7.
- <5> SDR6132 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 27-AUG-65.
- <6> SDR5413 Bibliographic reference: 1984. DOE Listed buildings Dist of High Peak Derby. p. 20.
- <7> SDR14900 Index: OS. SK 08 SE 11. SK 08 SE 11.
- <8> SDR14432 Index: NDAT. NDAT: 0620.. 0620.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0570 8070 (13m by 13m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 19 2015 5:51PM