Building record MDR5310 - Cruck barn, Frith Hall Farm, Brampton
Type and Period (1)
- CRUCK BARN (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1602 AD to 1900 AD)
A fine medieval rubble barn opposite Frith Hall farmhouse is probably the biggest cruck structure in Derbyshire, with seven trusses. (1) SK 33157098 Frith Hall, Cruck Barn. There is a raised stone causeway along the east wall. One pair of crucks is halved at the top "considered by C. F. Innocent to be the earliest of the methods used to support the ridge-tree". (3-4) Frith Hall Barn, Brampton has seven cruck frames with tiebeams and collars. (5) A grade II* listed farm outbuilding of late 16th century date, with 19th century additions and 20th century alterations. It is built of coursed rubble Coal Measures Sandstone beneath a 20th century corrugated sheeting roof. It comprises a six-bay cruck-framed range with a single 19th century addition at the south-east end. The north-east elevation is of a single storey, with an off-centre doorway beneath a crude segmental arched head. There is a two-bay offshut to the north-west, and a two-tier series of five vents to the south, beyond which are two further segmental arch-headed doorways, all with plain planked doors. The north-west gable has fully-exposed cruck trusses, and is infilled with modern sheeting. There is a raised walkway to the north-east front, constructed of massive horizontal stone posts. The rear elevation has a main doorway opposite that to the front elevation, and two other doorways with plain heads. There are four taking-in doors at eaves level. Inside the barn, there are seven cruck trusses supporting a single purlin roof. They rise from padstones that are visible in the interior walling. All trusses appear to have had tie and collar beams. Three trusses have yokes, two are cross-lapped, at the apex, and two trusses support the ridge directly. All trusses retain at least one windbrace on either side, except for one central truss, where a brace survives on one side only. The exposed truss at the north-west end, and an exposed section of wallplate within the offshut, suggest that timber walling preceded the stonework. Two extant studs confirm this. The majority of rafters are 20th century softwood. (6) Eight samples were obtained from the cruck barn for tree ring analysis. These provided an estimated felling date of summer 1602. (7)
- <1> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 106.
- <2> SDR3877 Bibliographic reference: CBA Res Rpt 42 1981 106 Cruck Construction (N.W. Alcock).
- <3> SDR10894 Index: NDAT. 0415. 0415.
- <4> SDR3540 Bibliographic reference: Bunker, B. 1970. Cruck Buildings: An Opinion as to their Origin and Dating. LS 728.6. pp 14-15.
- <5> SDR8885 Article in serial: Marston, F. 1967. 'Cruck frames of Derbyshire; an interim report', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 87, pp 117-122. p 120.
- <6> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 393509.
- <7> SDR4471 Unpublished document: Nottingham University Tree-Ring Dating Laboratory. Dendro Sample Record and Summary. Initial Report 12 June 1992.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3312 7096 (27m by 37m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BRAMPTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 19 2014 8:33AM