SK 31497315 Birley Grange Farm. The site of a medieval grange in 1330 . (1)
The current buildings originate in the 17th and 18th centuries and are sited on a ridge. No earthworks remain to show the original extent of the grange. The buildings were converted by Derbyshire County Council in September 1980. (2)
A Cistercian grange connected with Louth Abbey has been recorded in the Birley area. There is documentary evidence for the existence of Birley Grange in 1330. (See Authy 1) (3)
Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society. p 222.
Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p 155.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3146 7319 (67m by 47m) (Centre)
BRAMPTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 29 2016 11:44AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.