Monument record MDR5336 - Linacre House (site of), Linacre Wood, Brampton

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Linacre Hall, in the parish of Brampton, is named in a deed dated to 14 April 1519, when Thurstan Hall of Overhurst released all his messuages and lands in the township of Abney to Roger Foljambe of 'Lynacre Hall', armiger. (1) Site of Linacre House. This was the home of Thomas Lincacre, the first president of the Royal College of Physicians and 'father' of the Renaissance. (3) A building is shown on this site on William Senior's map of Linacre dated 1630. (4) Linacre House and about 100 acres of farm land, together with Linacre Wood, belonged to the Duke of Devonshire in 1929. At that time the buildings were described as being 'not more than two or three hundred years old and have no special interest; but they appear to be, in part, built on the foundations of a former house; which, at and for many years prior to the dissolution of monasteries, belonged to the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem .. .. In the existing building known as Linacre House, there is a very old stone mullion window, below the level of the garden, which lights a cellar through a partly filled area. This window has every appearance of being in its original position .. .. The conclusion must be that it is part of the very ancient pre-reformation Linacre Hall, at one time the home of the Foljambes .. .. The present tenant of the farm found, built into the wall of the fodderam, a stone, about ten inches square, on which the following inscription has been cut "Heare lyeth Goram (Coram?) Aymar"; there is another line which is quite illegible and some of the letters of the above inscription are uncertain. The stone appears to have existed before the erection of the cowhouse and to have been built into the wall, with a view to preserving the record'. (5) Linacre House was vacated in 1938 when the Water Board deemed the farm to be a possible health hazard to the reservoirs below, and later it was demolished. The three storey house, which faced south with views across the valley, had large cellars which contained seven salting benches where hams and bacon were cured. When the family moved out of the house they removed the inscribed stone described by T Walter Hall in 1929. The site of the building now lies buried beneath the car park, the surface of which is now considerably higher than the previous ground level. (6)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Article in serial: Bowles, C E B. 1912. 'Some old charters and deeds', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 34, pp 61-74. p 71.
  • <2> Index: NDAT. 3066. 3066.
  • <3> Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 22.1.
  • <4> Map: Senior, W. 1630. The Surveie of Coshall Roughford Linnaker & Newbold belonging to ye right honorable william Earle of newcastle.
  • <5> Article in serial: Hall, T. 1930-31. 'Notes on Linacre House, near Barlow, Derbyshire', Sheffield Clarion Ramblers. Volume 30, pp 99-102.
  • <6> Bibliographic reference: Brampton Women's Institute. Pratt Hall walk (?).

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3355 7284 (109m by 78m) (Centre)
Civil Parish BRAMPTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3426

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Apr 24 2015 8:53AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.