Monument record MDR5338 - St Thomas' Chapel (site of), Holywell Street, Chesterfield

Type and Period (1)

  • (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

[SK 3848 7125] Site of ST. THOMAS'S CHAPEL [A.T.] (1) There was formerly a chapel in Holywell Street, Chesterfield, dedicated to St. Thomas. By 1817 the remains are said to have formed part of a barn and stable. (2) By 1839 the buildings been converted into small dwellings. It was stated at that time that "this venerable building has undergone great alterations at different periods, so that nothing of its primitive state can be traced except on the south side, where there are still the remains of a small Gothic window.'" (3) "Will.Ludelam, hermit of St. Thomas's Chapel at Chesterfield" is mentioned in a report from Sir Godfrey Foljambe to Cromwell dated 9 July 1538. (4) Authorised as 'site of St. Thomas's Chapel'. Remark by O.S. authority - 'The original walls are now removed and a new building is being erected thereon.' (5) The site of this chapel is now occupied by a large store - EYRES - the main building existing before 1890 and enlarged shortly after that date. No traces of the chapel are known to exist in the present structure. (6) The chapel dedicated to St Thomas the Martyr stood at the corner of Knifesmithgate and Holywell Street, on the edge of the old market place. Nothing is known of the foundation of this chapel, but Bestall (8) suggested it may have had some link with Beauchief Abbey and been founded as early as the end of the 12th century. There is a reference to it in a deed of 1465-6, but otherwise it is known only from antiquarian accounts of the building prior to its demolition. According to these accounts, it served as a barn and cowhouse in the late 18th century. In 1838 it was converted into 'small dwellings' at which time a small gothic window apparently remained on the south side. It had been demolished by the end of the 19th century and the site was later occupied by Eyres store. (9)

Sources/Archives (9)

  • <1> Map: OS. 1878.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Lysons, D & Lysons, S. 1817. Magna Britannia, Volume 5: Derbyshire. p 80.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Ford, T. 1839. The History of Chesterfield. p 48.
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Clay, R. 1914. Hermitages and Anchorites of England. pp. 210-11, No. 3.
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: Rev. O.N.B., Derby 25 NW, 1896, Rev. 1914, p.137..
  • <6> Personal Observation: F1 WW 12-APR-60.
  • <7> Index: NDAT. 0706. 0706.
  • <8> Bibliographic reference: Bestall, J M. 1974. History of Chesterfield, Vol 1. Early and Medieval Chesterfield..
  • <9> Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 2002. Extensive Urban Survey: Chesterfield. Archaeological Assessment Report..



Grid reference Centred SK 3849 7125 (18m by 18m) (Centre)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR1017

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 27 2017 4:11PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.